This latest threat basically has the same effect as prior crypto – ransomware threats did. (They encrypt a system’s data so it cannot be accessed unless we either “solve” their code, pay their ransom – please don’t do that, or re-initialize your system and restore the data from a backup.)
To best prepare yourself to weather a ransomware attack, is by keeping your operating systems and application software up to date and by making sure that you BACK UP YOUR DATA regularly.
- Here are a few other things you can do.
- Have up to date Anti-virus software installed*
- Renew the Anti-virus subscriptions before they expire
- Install a good firewall, not simply a router*
- Read emails carefully before opening and opening an attachment or clicking on a web link
- Have multiple copies of your data, documents, pictures, etc…stored on a backup drive or cloud storage i.e. One Drive, Drop Box etc..
Unfortunately, with malware like WannaCry and others, nothing is 100% effective, but we can certainly minimize exposure by following the proper procedures and implementing the appropriate technologies.
Speak with your tech provider and see if you’re protected adequately today and if you have a question please don’t hesitate to contact our office.