The stats are scary.
- More than 70% of cyber-attacks target SMB’s.
- 60% of those SMB’s that are hacked go out of business within 6 months.
- The average cost of recovery from a SMB data break runs between $36,000 - $50,000 and for some businesses, makes it near impossible to ever recover.
To best way to prepare yourself to weather a ransomware or cyber-attack, is by keeping your operating systems and application software up to date and by making sure that you BACK UP YOUR DATA regularly.
The key to securing and protecting your system is by using a multi-layered approach. A bare minimum would include a firewall and anti-virus software, educating the end users (don’t open attachments and/or links etc.), and having a strong data backup / disaster recovery plan. Here are a few other things you can do.
- Have up to date Anti-virus software installed*
- Renew the Anti-virus subscriptions before they expire
- Install a good firewall, not simply a router*
- Read emails carefully before opening and opening an attachment or clicking on a web link
- Have multiple copies of your data, documents, pictures, etc…stored on a backup drive or cloud storage i.e. One Drive, Drop Box etc.
*Use Windows Firewall & Windows Defender or check into Security Subscriptions from Norton and AVG that offer Anti-virus and Firewall bundles.
Remember, generally speaking, we often make mistakes when we get distracted or are trying to work on several tasks at once, so be careful, stay focused and practice safe computing.
Unfortunately, with malware, ransomware and others, nothing is 100% effective, but we can certainly minimize exposure by following the proper procedures and implementing the appropriate technologies.
Speak with your tech provider and see if you’re protected adequately today and if you have a question please don’t hesitate to contact our office.
About Tech 2020 Solutions
Tech 2020 Solutions offers complete turnkey solutions for the technologies that drive your business, stores and secures your data and helps you communicate in and outside of your company.
Offering multiple levels of on-site and remote support, monitoring and maintenance for your data, IT, phones and peripheral equipment needs including: general IT Support and Services, Cloud Storage and Applications, Network Security, Back Up, Mobile Solutions, VoIP Phone Systems, Unified Communications, Business Continuity, Disaster Recovery and other Scalable Technologies. Visit www.Tech2020solutions.com to learn more about Tech 2020 Solutions, or call 516-876-8761 or email info@Tech2020solutions.com.
Power Up with John Hassler is a blog distributed by Tech 2020 Solutions, and written by John Hassler, President and Founder of the company. To reach John, contact him at 516.876.8761 or via email at news@Tech2020solutions.com. Connect on Linked In and Facebook.