Hope Is NOT A Good Strategy When It Comes to Your Company’s Data!
Here are some true, hard facts about data loss
• The average failure rate of disk and tape drives is 100% - ALL DRIVES WILL EVENTUALLY FAIL.
• Only 34% of companies test their tape backups, and of those who do, 77% have found failures.
• 60% of companies that lose their data will go out of business within 6 months of the disaster.
• Over ½ of all critical corporate data resides on unprotected PC desktops and laptops.
• Key causes for data loss are:
o 78% Hardware or system malfunction
o 11% Human error
o 7% Software corruption or program malfunction
o 2% Computer viruses
o 1% Natural disasters
o 1% Other
• Only 25% of users frequently back up their files, yet 85% of those same users say they are very concerned about losing important digital data.
• More than 22% said backing up their PCs was on their to-do list, but they seldom do it.
• 30% of companies report that they still do not have a disaster recovery program in place, and 2 out of 3 feel their data backup and disaster recovery plans have significant vulnerabilities.
• 1 in 25 notebooks are stolen, broken or destroyed each year.
• Today’s hard drives store 500 times the data stored on the drives of a decade ago. This increased capacity amplifies the impact of data loss, making mechanical precision more critical.
• You have a 30% chance of having a corrupted file within a one-year timeframe.
Here are some insider IT tips you will want to know when getting a handle on your own back up and data recovery plans.
• You’ll want to understand your current data backup and security procedures, including tape rotation and maintenance schedules to make sure that ALL your data really is being backed up securely, and in a format that can easily be restored.
• You’ll want to audit your current offsite backup system and provider to make sure that they can guarantee you a fast, safe recovery of your data – there are actually 5 key characteristics and systems to demand from any offsite backup company; if they don’t meet every one, you’re in for a big, unpleasant surprise if you ever have to do a major restore and rebuild of your server and network.
• Review your current procedures for onsite backups. Many people don’t realize they damage their disks (and thereby corrupt their data) by improperly caring for their storage devices. Make sure that your disks are intact and functioning properly.
• Check your network backups to make sure they are accurately backing up all the critical files and information you would NEVER want to lose.
• Make sure you have a simple and easy to understand chart that will detail the makeup of your data, including the age and type of files you are backing up. Why should you care? Because many companies inadvertently use valuable computer storage to back up their employees’ personal MP3 files and movies. And this costs them money!
• Make sure you clearly understand all of your current data protection needs and your IT provider can explain in plain English where your risks are. We know everyone has a different level of risk tolerance, and we want to make sure all the risks you’re taking with your data are by choice not because of miscommunication or accident.
As always if you need help ensuring that the safety of your network and files is not left to chance, we can help!
About Tech 2020 Solutions
Tech 2020 Solutions offers complete turnkey solutions for the technologies that drive your business, stores and secures your data and helps you communicate in and outside of your company.
Offering multiple levels of on-site and remote support, monitoring and maintenance for your data, IT, phones and peripheral equipment needs including: general IT Support and Services, Cloud Storage and Applications, Network Security, Back Up, Mobile Solutions, VoIP Phone Systems, Unified Communications, Business Continuity, Disaster Recovery and other Scalable Technologies.
Visit www.Tech2020solutions.com to learn more about Tech 2020 Solutions, or call 516-876-8761 or email info@Tech2020solutions.com.
Power Up with John Hassler is a blog distributed by Tech 2020 Solutions, and written by John Hassler, President and Founder of the company. To reach John, contact him at 516.876.8761 or via email at news@Tech2020solutions.com. Connect on Linked In and Facebook.